One important challenge that ASCP is taking on is the notion of visibility of the laboratory. What do successful clinical pathology lab directors do to bring the laboratory ‘out of the basement’ and advocate for the profession with colleagues, hospital leadership and the public at large? And what skills do they lean on to manage their labs successfully and achieve a healthy work-life balance?
On this episode of Inside the Lab, our hosts Dr. Dan Milner and Ms. Kelly Swails are joined by Dr. Sarah Riley, PhD, DABCC, FACB, Clinical Chemist, Toxicologist, and Director of the Forensic Toxicology Laboratory at the Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Dr. Ramy Arnaout, MD, PhD, Clinical Microbiologist, Clinical Informaticist, Computational Immunologist, and Associate Director of Clinical Microbiology Laboratories at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Dr. Nicole Pecora, MD, PhD, Medical Microbiologist and Associate Director of Clinical Microbiology at Brigham and Women's Hospital, who share their life hacks for clinical pathology.
Our panelists discuss what we can do to increase the visibility of the CP laboratory. They address the informatics and business skills that aren’t emphasized enough in clinical pathology training and explain how they engage with colleagues to manage their respective labs successfully. Listen in for
insight on setting boundaries based on what’s really important to you to achieve work-life balance.
· How to increase the visibility of the clinical pathology lab with colleagues, hospital administrators and the general public
· Our panelists’ thoughts on diagnostic management teams and the benefits to the clinical team of going on rounds
· Why networking is essential to becoming a ‘member of the community’ as clinical pathologists
· How forming communities of practice and developing an elevator speech can help us get a ‘seat at the table’
· Why every clinical pathologist needs to be an ambassador for the profession and how to advocate for CP with hospital leadership
· The informatics and business skills that aren’t emphasized enough in clinical pathology training
· Insight on achieving work-life balance by separating your personal and professional life
Connect with Dr. Arnaout
Dr. Arnaout at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Dr. Arnaout on LinkedIn
Inside the Lab in the ASCP Store