In the 100 years since its founding in 1922, the American Society for Clinical Pathology has guided the application and evolution of pathology and laboratory medicine.
But how much do you know about the history of ASCP?
On this episode of Inside the Lab recorded live at the ASCP Annual Meeting in Chicago, our hosts, Ms. Kelly Swails and Dr. Lotte Mulder, are joined by Team Total Kuality, Dr. Kamran Mirza, MD, PhD, Associate Professor of Pathology at Loyola Medicine, and Dr. Theresa Tellier-Castellone, EdD, MPH, MLS(ASCP)CM, Program Director for the School of Medical Technology at Our Lady of Fatima and Rhode Island Hospital; Team Buffy Coat, Dr. Kim Sanford, MD, MASCP, MT(ASCP), Past President of ASCP, and Dr. Will Finn, MD, MASCP, Medical Director at Warde Medical Lab and Past President of ASCP; and Team Diplococcus, Ms. Christy Nickel, MHA, MLS(ASCP)CM, CPHQ, ASCP CMLA Chair and Director of the Clinical Laboratory at Bryan Health, and Ms. Jeannie Guglielmo, MS, MAT, MLS(ASCP)CM, Chair of the Clinical Laboratory Science Program at Stony Brook University, for an enthusiastic game of ASCP Trivia.
Our teams answer questions about the ethical issues that concerned ASCP in its early years and the goals of the organization that have remained consistent since its founding in 1922. They buzz in to share their knowledge of how we made history by electing Dr. Emma Sadler Moss as President in 1955. Listen in as the teams compete for bragging rights (and a glow-in-the-dark Erlenmeyer flask).
· Dr. Emma Sadler Moss’ roles at Charity Hospital in New Orleans and with ASCP in the 1950s
· The ethical issues around the practice of pathology that concerned ASCP in its early years
· Other professional organizations founded at ASCP meetings
· Why ASCP changed its name to the American Society for Clinical Pathology in 2002
· How ASCP’s Center for Global Health is responding to disasters and expanding laboratory services all over the world
· What goals ASCP established when the organization was founded in 1922 (and how those goals have remained consistent in the years since)
· How ASCP made history by electing the first female president of a medical organization in 1955
Connect with ASCP
ASCP on Facebook
ASCP on Instagram
ASCP on Twitter
Connect with Team Total Kuality
Dr. Mirza on Twitter
Dr. Tellier-Castellone on Twitter
Connect with Team Buffy Coat
Dr. Sanford on Twitter
Dr. Finn on Twitter
Connect with Team Diplococcus
Ms. Nickel on LinkedIn
Ms. Guglielmo on LinkedIn
Connect with Ms. Swails & Dr. Mulder
Ms. Swails on Twitter
Dr. Mulder on Twitter
ASCP Annual Meeting
Inside the Lab in the ASCP Store