ASCP is committed to developing policies that improve public health through the practice of laboratory medicine. One of the ways that the Society participates in public policy is through our delegation to the American Medical Association (AMA).
So, what does it mean to be an ASCP delegate to the AMA? How well is pathology represented within the AMA House of Delegates? And why does that representation matter?
On this episode of Inside the Lab, your hosts Dr. Ali Brown, MD, FASCP, and Dr. Lotte Mulder, PhD, are joined by ASCP delegates to the AMA Dr. William Finn, MD, MASCP, Medical Director of the Joint Venture Hospital Laboratories and Past President of ASCP, Dr. Jennifer Stall, MD, Anatomic and Clinical Pathologist at Hospital Pathology Associates in Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota, and Dr. H. Cliff Sullivan, MD, Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Director of the Cellular Therapy Laboratory at Emory University, to discuss laboratory medicine’s representation within the American Medical Association.
Our panelists discuss the AMA’s function as a professional association and lobbying group for physicians and medical students and share their experiences as delegates to the AMA from ASCP. Dr. Finn, Dr. Stall, and Dr. Sullivan explain the responsibilities as delegates to the AMA and offer examples of how ASCP’s involvement in the AMA serves the interests of ASCP members and our patients. Listen in for insight around the AMA initiatives and programs pathologists should be aware of and learn how you can get involved in amplifying the voice of pathologists in the AMA.
· How the AMA functions as a professional association and lobbying group for physicians and medical students
· How the AMA fulfills its mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health
· Who serves as ASCP’s full delegates to the AMA and who serves as alternate delegates
· How well pathology is represented within the AMA and why that representation matters
· How the pathology voice is received in the egalitarian system of the AMA
· How ASCP’s involvement in the AMA serves the interests of ASCP members and our patients
· How to get involved with the AMA
Connect with ASCP
ASCP on Facebook
ASCP on Instagram
ASCP on Twitter
Connect with Dr. Finn
Dr. Finn on LinkedIn
Connect with Dr.Stall
Dr. Stall on Twitter
Connect with Dr. Sullivan
Dr. Sullivan at Emory University
Connect with Dr. Mulder & Dr. Brown
Dr. Mulder on Twitter
Dr. Brown on Twitter
American Medical Association
ASCP Resident Council
VALID Act of 2021
CLIA Law & Regulations
ASCP Institute for Science, Technology and Public Policy
Inside the Lab in the ASCP Store