Autopsies allow the dead to teach the living, and the information gathered by forensic pathologists is crucial in helping us understand what COVID-19 does to the body and improve patient care moving forward. So, what challenges have forensic pathologists and patient advocates faced through the pandemic?
On this episode of Inside the Lab, moderators Dr. Lotte Mulder and Ms. Kelly Swails are joined by Ms. Lisbeth Harcourt, LMSW, Program Manager of Decedent Affairs at Michigan Medicine, Dr. Brandi McCleskey, MD, Assistant Professor in the Division of Forensics at the University of Alabama at Birmingham’s Department of Pathology, Dr. Paul Benson, MD, Associate Professor of Anatomic Pathology and Autopsy Section Head at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, and Dr. Allecia M. Wilson, MD, Director of Autopsy and Forensic Services at the University of Michigan and Chief Medical Examiner of Washtenaw and Livingston Counties, to explore how the coronavirus pandemic has impacted the work of forensic pathologists and medical social workers.
The panelists explain how COVID has affected end-of-life care and bereavement services, sharing what their teams are doing to support the families of decedents and how the virus highlights the importance of forensic pathologists as an integral part of the healthcare team. Listen in to understand what precautions our panelists have taken to keep their staff members safe in this challenging time and learn how forensic pathologists are using their autopsy findings to serve the living.
· How the coronavirus has affected forensic pathology resources and caseloads
· How COVID has impacted end-of-life care and bereavement services
· How the coronavirus has changed processes in forensic pathology offices for the better
· The challenges of transitioning to a COVID-capable autopsy service and the precautions to keep staff members safe
· How the pandemic has blurred the lines between work and home life for forensic pathologists and medical social workers
· What has been learned about COVID from autopsy findings and how those observations can be used to help the living
· What the future of forensic pathology looks like and opportunities for autopsy research collaborations
Connect with ASCP
Connect with Ms. Harcourt
Connect with Dr. McCleskey
Connect with Dr. Benson
Connect with Dr. Wilson
Connect with Dr. Mulder & Ms. Swails