According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, approximately 4,900 students graduate from MLS and MLT programs in the U.S. every year. But there are 9,000+ job openings. So, what’s behind the 46% vacancy rate? And what can we do as laboratory professionals to address these significant staffing shortages?
On this episode of Inside the Lab, our hosts Dr. Dan Milner and Ms. Kelly Swails are joined by Dr. Rodney E. Rohde, PhD, SV, SM, MB(ASCP), FACSc, Professor and Chair for the Clinical Laboratory Science Program in the College of Health Professions at Texas State University, Dr. Brandy D. Gunsolus, DCLS, MLS(ASCP)CM, Administrator of the Immunology and Toxicology Laboratories and Specimen Referral at Augusta University Medical Center, and Ms. Edna Garcia, MPH, Director of Scientific Engagement and Research at ASCP’s Institute for Science, Technology and Policy in Washington, DC, to discuss laboratory staffing shortages—before, during, and after COVID-19.
Our panelists explore the factors that have contributed to the rise in staffing shortages over the past 30 years, discussing why the laboratory continues to struggle with recruitment and retention despite advancements in automation. Listen in for Dr. Rohde’s, Dr. Gonsolus’, and Ms. Garcia’s insight on advancing the visibility of the lab to strengthen the pipeline and find out what we can do to meet the workforce challenges the laboratory faces moving forward.
· How laboratory staffing has evolved over the past 30 years and factors contributing to the rise in staffing shortages
· The challenges around recruitment and retention in the laboratory revealed in ASCP’s Wage and Vacancy surveys
· What can be done to advance the visibility of the lab and how COVID has helped highlight the profession in the past few months
· Why some labs are laying off lab professionals while others are desperate to hire staff to accommodate coronavirus testing
· The challenge the laboratory faces moving forward in terms of strengthening the pipeline and training administrators
Connect with ASCP
Connect with Dr. Rohde
Connect with Dr. Gunsolus
Connect with Ms. Garcia
Connect with Dr. Mulder & Dr. Milner