Seventy percent of medical decisions depend on laboratory results. And yet, pathologists and medical laboratory professionals received very little press coverage prior to the pandemic. Now that our work has been recognized, what can we do to keep that ball rolling? How can we expand Medical Laboratory Professionals Week beyond the walls of the lab and inspire our communities to celebrate with us?
On this episode of Inside the Lab, our hosts Dr. Lotte Mulder and Ms. Kelly Swails are joined by Ms. Theresa Tellier-Castellone, EdD, MPH, MLS(ASCP)CM, Program Director at Our Lady of Fatima Hospital and Rhode Island Hospital, Dr. Melanie Johncilla, MD, Consultant Pathologist at Port of Spain General Hospital in Trinidad and Tobago and Medical Director at Global Pathology Solutions, and Mr. Aaron K. Odegard, MS, MLS(ASCP)CMSMCM, Medical Laboratory Technologist at Baptist Health in Jacksonville, Florida, and Chair of the ASCP Council of Laboratory Professionals, to discuss their plans for Medical Laboratory Professionals Week and the importance of celebrating the lab.
Our panelists share how they recognize Lab Week outside the lab, offering insight how to engage the rest of the hospital staff and even the general public to celebrate with us. They weigh in on the psychological benefit of celebrating the work we do and describe how we might take advantage of the lab’s visibility during COVID to elevate Lab Week this year. Listen in for Ms. Tellier-Castellone, Dr. Johncilla, and Mr. Odegard’s favorite Lab Week memories and get their top ideas for celebrating our role as medical laboratory professionals and pathologists.
· Our panelists’ favorite Medical Laboratory Professionals Week games and activities
· The challenges celebrating Lab Week in a resource-restricted setting
· What to do to have Lab Week recognized outside the lab
· How we might take advantage of the lab’s visibility during COVID to elevate Lab Week this year and invite the rest of the hospital staff to celebrate with us
· The psychological benefit of celebrating the work we do as medical laboratory professionals
Connect with ASCP
Connect with Ms. Theresa Tellier-Castellone
Ms. Tellier-Castellone on LinkedIn
Connect with Mr. Odegard
Connect with Ms. Swails & Dr. Mulder