Digital pathology refers to everything from a static image of a slide to a real-time broadcast image. So, what do laboratory professionals mean when we talk about using digital pathology? What infrastructure is necessary beyond the scanners themselves? And what is driving the adoption of digital pathology tools?
On this episode of Inside the Lab, Dr. Dan Milner and guest host Dr. Joe Sirintrapun, MD, Director of Pathology Informatics at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, are joined by Dr. Orly Ardon, PhD, MBA, Science Manager for Digital Pathology Diagnostics at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center’s Pathology Department, Dr. Matthew Hanna, MD, Director of Digital Pathology Informatics at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, and Dr. Jochen Lennerz, MD, Associate Chief of Pathology and Medical Director of the Center for Integrated Diagnostics at Massachusetts General Hospital, to discuss digital pathology.
Our panelists explore the barriers to widespread implementation of whole slide imaging, and discuss factors a laboratory should consider before investing in a particular digital pathology system. They explain how digital pathology can benefit laboratory professionals in microbiology, cytology, and hematopathology and describe how the pandemic accelerated the adoption of digital tools. Listen in for insights on incentivizing vendors to facilitate interoperability and learn how AI technology is driving the use of digital pathology.
· What pathologists and laboratory professionals mean by the phrase "digital pathology"
· Barriers to widespread adoption of whole slide imaging systems
· Important factors a laboratory should consider before investing in a particular digital pathology system
· How digital pathology can benefit laboratory professionals in areas like microbiology, cytology, and hematopathology
· Why decentralized, rural laboratories should consider using digital pathology
· How commercially available artificial intelligence drives the adoption of digital pathology
· Lessons learned around the adoption of a digital pathology platform for clinical use
Inside the Lab in the ASCP Store