Pathology administrators are tasked with the recruitment, retention, and management of laboratory staff. But how do you attract personnel for hard-to-fill positions? And how do you help young pathologists and laboratory professionals advance their careers and become the next generation of leaders?
On this episode of Inside the Lab, our hosts Dr. Lotte Mulder and Ms. Kelly Swails are joined by Ms. Kelley Suskie, MHSA, FACMPE, Administrator for the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Arkansas for Medical Science, Mr. John Baci, MBA, C-PM, Executive Director of Anatomic Pathology at Boston Children’s Hospital, and Mr. Martin Lawlor, Director of Finance and Administration for the Department of Pathology at Michigan Medicine, to discuss personnel management.
Our panelists explain what administrators can do to prepare for the retirement cliff facing pathology, challenging laboratory professionals to mentor the next generation of leaders. They explore how personnel management differs in an academic versus clinical setting and offer strategies for networking in the pathology administration community. Listen in as our panelists share their most challenging personnel management experiences and get their advice on confronting bad behavior early on and holding people accountable for their actions as pathology administrators.
· Suggestions for recruiting and retaining personnel for hard-to-fill positions
· Creating succession plans for the laboratory professionals
· Preparing for the retirement cliff the pathology field is facing and developing the next generation of leaders
· Why it’s better to help top performers advance and move on rather than hold them back
· How to reconcile making yourself invaluable in the lab with empowering your team
· How personnel management differs in an academic vs. clinical setting
· Strategies for connecting with others in the community of academic pathology administration
· The importance of both internal and external networking in the personnel management space
· Challenging personnel management experiences
· Developing the courage to confront bad behavior early on and hold people accountable for their actions
· Our panelists’ advice around mentoring aspiring pathology administrators
Connect with Ms. Suskie
Connect with Mr. Baci
Connect with Mr. Lawlor
Connect with Dr. Mulder & Ms. Swails